San Blas (Kuna Yala) archipelago - Home of the Kuna Indians
The San Blas or Kuna Yala archipelago is a chain of nearly 400 small islands off the northern coast of Panama, stretching east of Colon all the way to the Colombian border.
The islands are all blessed with sandy beaches, palm trees and crystal clear water but are also home to the rich indigenous culture of the Kunas which are famous for their molas, a traditional clothing made of intricately woven colorful fabrics.
Not only will visiting these islands be a chance to explore a remote and pristine environment but also a rare chance to see how the Kunas have been able to preserve their traditional lifestyle and resist the influence of globalization.
Since 1925, the Kunas has obtained the right to self govern and have chosen to forbid all kinds of foreign investment. As a result, this semi-autonomous region remains a hardly touched string of enchanting beaches fringed by palm trees and small villages where tourism ventures are all community-based. Come experience their paradise!
During your two full days on these idyllic islands you have ample time to explore the area and experience the best it has to offer: visit the Kuna villages, enjoy fresh seafood and coconut rice, relax on white sand beaches, explore tiny island coves, go swimming in crystal clear water, snorkel and observe the ocean bottom with its stunning corals - the coral reefs of Kuna Yala have the highest diversity of coral species as well as the best reef development in all of Panama.
Plunge into the Kuna Indians' life and discover some of their fascinating traditions. You can also admire and will have the opportunity to buy very beautiful molas, a popular Kuna handcraft all locally handmade so that it directly supports the local artisans.
You will stay two nights at the Sapibenega Lodge Lodge, consisting of bungalows built on stilts directly in front of the water with local wood and palm roofs each with a modern private bathroom and solar energy. This lodge is perfectly located to give you the best access to the local area and all it has to offer. You will be transferred from the island with the airport to the island with Sapibenega Lodge in a traditional "cayuco" boat.
What to bring:
- Sun lotion
- Waterproof bags/zip-locks (for your cameras or other electronics in case of rain, especially during the boat ride)
- Mosquito repellent
- Cash for purchasing souvenirs (Molas handcraft in particular, though bring incidentals you will need as there are limited options once on the islands).
- A small amount of clothing and bathing suit for the two days.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a 12 kilo (26 lbs) weight limit for the flight. You are responsible for making prior arrangements (usually with your hotel) to store your excess luggage for the duration of the tour.
This package includes:
- Round trip Panama - San Blas Archipelago
- Transfer to/from hotel in Panama City
- National airport and flight
- Two nights at the Sapibenega Lodge in private bungalow
- Full boarding without beverages
- Tours at village and others islands with a local guide
- 10 % will be charged for hotel and package cancellations made by written notice.
- 50 % refund will be given for hotel and package cancellations with less than ten days of written notice.
- Hotel and package cancellations with less than five days of written notice and cases of no-show will be subject to a non-refund.